Sunday, November 25, 2007

Giving Thanks on a Bad Day

I heard an inspiring message today about offering thanks to God when I don't feel like it, of offering praise to God when things are not going my way, when I'm having a BAD DAY. According to Psalm 50:23, not only can I honor God, but I can also work in my own best interest by consciously clearing the way for him to inervene in my circumstances & rescue me from my distress:

. . . He who sacrifices thank offerings
honors me, and he prepares the way
so that I may show him
the salvation of God.
- Psalm 50:23 NIV

Wow, what a fabulous reminder that the things I think I'm doing "for God" (as if God needs anything I can provide) are actually for my good. Paul writes:

. . . give thanks in all circumstances,
for this is God's will for you
in Christ Jesus.

- 1 Thes. 5:18 NIV

Paul doesn't give an explanation; he expects me to give thanks because it is God's will, but going back to what I know of God's character*, I can imagine WHY it is God's will for me to give thanks in all circumstances. I know that God's intentions and all he asks of me are for my own good. I have read in Psalm 50:23 that the "sacrifice" of giving thanks clears the way for God to show me his salvation. If I believe God's word, then even my most selfish motives will cause me to praise and thank God in order to open the way for his rescue in time of trouble.

Truly, God never asks me to do anything beyond my capabilities, nor to give beyond my means. His yoke is easy and his burden is light (per Matt. 11:30). Think about what this might mean in your life. Will you pledge to give God thanks, especially when you are hurting? The willful act of thanking God as you move through a difficult day will be to your benefit, and will clear the way for him to rescue you!
_____________________________________________________
* God's Character - What I know of God's character is based upon my daily pursuit of God in his word. If you are not on a daily reading plan, go to http://www.backtothebible.org/ and pick one out! There are five calendar plans to choose from under Bible Studies & Devotions at the top of the page. The fourth choice, Reading Guides, will bring up your options.

No comments: