Saturday, November 7, 2009

CUT TO THE QUICK - Politically Incorrect!

Cursed is he who does the work of the Lord with slackness, and cursed is he who keeps back his sword from bloodshed. - Jeremiah 48:10

The words of warning from yesterday's reading are a potent metaphor against political correctness in my day-to-day dealings. The sword in my modern Christian arsenal is the word of God (per Ephesians 6:13-17). If I keep it sheathed in order to spare someone a little discomfort, I am asking for trouble.


Often I am guilty of "slackness" in the work of the Lord, and of holding back the sword of God's word. I avoid speaking Bible truth because I can't stand to hurt someone's feelings. I keep silent even though I see that a passage I've recently read pertains to a situation I'm hearing about. I fear my words might come across as criticism. I prejudge whether or how I'll be received if I speak up.


At the end of yesterday's calendar reading is a reminder about the power of the sword of the spirit. I hope I can take it to heart, and that I'll trust the Sword in my hand. Though it may seem to cut to the quick, may I trust that God's word does good work, and that sometimes hurt can be helpful. The wounds the truth inflicts are painful, but constructive in exposing the root of trouble.


. . . the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. - Hebrews 4:12-13

No comments: