Wednesday, January 6, 2010

BECAUSE I SAID SO

God is willing to patiently prove his love for us in the face of our doubts. In today’s reading, God told Abram that he would be blessed, but Abram had serious doubts. In verse 8, Abram replied, “O Lord GOD, how am I to know?” You’d think the all-powerful God of the universe might have thundered back, “BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT’S HOW!” Check out this surprising dialogue, initiated by God, who says:

. . . "Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great." But Abram said, "O Lord GOD, what will you give me? . . . " behold, the word of the LORD came to him . . . "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

And he said to him, "I am the LORD who brought you out from Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land to possess." But he said, "O Lord GOD, how am I to know that I shall possess it?" He said to him, "Bring me a heifer three years old, a female goat three years old, a ram three years old, a turtledove, and a young pigeon."
- from Genesis 15:1-9

God didn’t snap at Abram for doubting. Instead, the Lord proceeded to patiently specify numerous proofs (sacrifices) for Abram to line up in order to satisfy his doubting mind. This is the God we serve, who is willing to get down on our level to prove his love and faithfulness to us in the face of our doubts.

May God give us grace to believe him, and to boldly claim his promises for ourselves and those we love. And if we cannot take him at his word, may we bravely confess our doubts right to his face, knowing our Father will graciously receive us, and that he will answer us kindly! This is my prayer for you.

No comments: