Monday, June 28, 2010

WHAT HE DOES IS DONE INDEED!

Food for thought from yesterday's reading:

. . . If he tears down, none can rebuild;
if he shuts a man in, none can open.
If he withholds the waters, they dry up;
if he sends them out, they overwhelm the land.
With him are strength and sound wisdom;
the deceived and the deceiver are his.
- from Job 12:14-16

Wow, if I were Job, I don't know if I'd be talking like this! Job is a ruined man, even though he has done all the right things, and he's earned a pass to his own private, pity party. Yet here stand his words, preserved for all posterity. He asserts that God works with a sure hand, and that what God sets out to accomplish will be done.

How do you feel about Job's words? Do they reassure you, or do they disquiet you? I'm here to tell you (and to remind myself), that IF you have entrusted your life to God's will, and if you are trying to walk according to the plans he has for you, then these are words of encouragement and comfort - especially in hard times!

Even if you are in a time of uncertainty and distress, God is aware and in charge. We can learn a thing or two from Job, even as he sits on a heap of garbage and scratches his festering sores. He NEVER stops believing that God is in control. My situation has never been so extreme, but can I say the same?

When I get discouraged, I tend to doubt that God sees or cares about my situation. I forget to focus my attention on his sure hand, but instead I think of my own problems, and feel sorry for myself. The other day, when I was down in the dumps, I ran across the verse below, and here it is again in today's reading:

. . . “Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he opens not his mouth.
In his humiliation justice was denied him . . . ”
- from Acts 8:32-33

The words above are quoted from an old prophecy, and they don't refer to an ordinary guy like Job, but to the Lord Jesus himself, and his attitude when he suffered for no fault of his own. This is the model to follow: to open not our mouths to complain! When and if we are frustrated with life, let's remember Jesus, as well as Job. Let's insist upon trusting God. Remember this promise:

The LORD will
fulfill his purpose for me . . .

- from Psalm 138:8


No comments: