Monday, August 30, 2010

Like a Bug

You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
S
uch knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.
- Psalm 139:5-6

Ever felt like a bug? Sometimes I catch one in my house, where it shouldn't be, and trap it by throwing a tissue on top and "hemming it in" with my hand so there's no escape. This passage reminds me of a bug in a tissue, yet it is a comfort to me! I am snug as a bug, hemmed in with God's hand over me. I know who's got me, and I'm glad of it. I'm not about to be crushed, smushed, or flushed. Instead I'll be moved, protected, comforted, or blessed. The passage continues:

Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
. . . even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you. - from Psalm 139:7-12

For the entire reading, see Sunday, August 29.

No comments: