Friday, February 1, 2008

KEEPER OF THE KEY

A snippet from a reading earlier this week is still on my mind:

I will place on his shoulder
the key to the house of David;
what he opens no one can shut,
and what he shuts no one can open.
(Isaiah 22:22)

Do I really believe that? Is God in control? Does He hold the key to the future? If his open doors really do stay open, and his closed doors are locked and barred, then why do I insist on trying to make my own way? Why am I so anxious to try to straighten others out, to point out their faults and shortcomings? Why am I so disappointed at a turn of events that is not what I anticipated?

Rather than focusing on how things and people are messed up, I need to concentrate on the One who holds the key. When He opens a door, I'll just walk on through. My prayer is that the Lord Jesus will help me -- and you, too -- to trust Him, to allow him to open doors, rather than trying to beat them down ourselves. Let us concentrate on Jesus. Wonderful things will happen, and true joy will result:

. . . and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces. (Isaiah 25:8)


Keeper of the Key, I trust in You,
To bind up, to break down, or to rearrange,
To open the door, or to bar the way,
To make secure and yet to cause change.


P.S. Don't forget to read your Bible today!

No comments: