Tuesday, September 16, 2008

PROVERBS 31 WOMAN

The "Proverbs 31 Woman" comes with a long list of qualities and qualifications, of which I'm keenly aware I fall far short! Yet in today's reading, one thing stands out from that long list, and it is something all of us women can give without hesitation or second thoughts:
She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness
is on her tongue.
- Proverbs 31:26

I have something to give which costs me nothing. I can give a little thought before I open my mouth, and make a point to show kindness in the things I say. It costs nothing to be generous in attitude and speech. Though I may feel unprepared to face many of the challenges before me, I can rely on God's grace to let my attitude and the words that come out of my mouth be excellent.

Today's reading from the New Testament sheds even more light on my prayer life. Like the Macedonians, who were not wealthy by material standards, I can ask the Lord for this seemingly incongruous mix:
. . . abundance of joy
and their extreme poverty
have overflowed in a wealth of generosity . . .
- 2 Cor. 8:2

I can boldly ask that the Lord allow me, even in my need, to "excel in acts of grace," (see 2 Cor 8:7). After all, "if the readiness is there, it is acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what he [or she] does not have," (2 Cor. 8:12). I'm not asked to give beyond my ability; I'm only responsible for what I have at my disposal.

My prayer - and I hope you will join me - is simply this: when (and not if) I have a chance to display a good attitude, to give a word of encouragement, to pardon an offense, or to in any small way let Jesus' love shine through me, that I'll be ready to act quickly and decisively to capture that golden opportunity! Let His grace be great in me today.

I know the Lord will honor such a request. Amen? AMEN!

No comments: