Monday, September 29, 2008

THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD - FEAR AND DELIGHT

The prophet Isaiah described the Spirit of the Lord:

. . . the Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and might,
the Spirit of knowledge and
the fear of the Lord.
- Isaiah 11:2

The Lord Jesus gave his followers -- you and me -- the same Spirit (see I Cor. 2:12). That means you and I have all the traits described above, whether we know it or not! The Spirit the Lord gives us is like a big treasure chest, and it will help us dig those traits out of us if we visualize what we are looking for:

Please join me as I pray, "Lord, YOUR Spirit in me -- that is what I crave! Wisdom and understanding to focus on the core issues at every moment of decision; the ability to give and receive good advice (counsel), boldness to speak and act as your Spirit indicates (might), and the presence of mind to respect You above all else (the fear of the Lord)."

Fear and delight are not often used in the same sentence without creating a real contradiction in terms, but truly I pray that it will be our delight and highest pleasure to respect, honor and fear the Lord today, just as the prophet Isaiah spoke of the Lord Jesus, who has put his own Spirit within us:

. . . and his delight
shall be in the fear of the Lord.
- Isaiah 11:3

No comments: